Thursday, January 14, 2016

Delays

Back from the holidays.

I had some time to talk to my players over the past few weeks to get some ideas about how they feel about social interaction. Let me tell you, before you get started on anything (unless it's a special surprise), talk to your players so you know you're not going to be wasting your time.

While social interaction mechanics were not a total waste of time for my players, they are, by and large, happy to just roleplay. In fact, they encouraged me to portray the characters more rather than paraphrase them. This is what I get for having actors for friends.

I may still toy with the mechanic as a feasible way to resolve situations where players need to convince someone to do something for them, or alternatively, I need to get a better sense of NPC motivations and then challenge the players with those (so, when the players start questioning an NPC, the NPC can try to make the players disclose their motivations).

No comments:

Post a Comment